Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sleep Really Is Good Medicine

I have been on the brink of coming un-done lately. Any small irritation, and trust me, there are many with three small girls, seems like someone is trying to start WWIII with me.  And I'm tired.  Trying to drive any distance scares me, as my eyes start to close I wonder who is a bigger risk on the road: a mother distracted by her kids, a drunk driver, a texting driver, or a sleepy driver.

Sleep Deprivation would have me label this picture
"Irritation #1, 2, 3 & 4"


"What if I have chronic fatigue syndrome?" I worried to Dave. "And my memory. I can't remember anything. And I came out of the store to see my  minivan sitting with it's sliding doors wide open in the parking lot.  I'm in need of a neuropsych exam, Dave.  Something is wrong."  Turning frustrated, I tell him "there are no meds strong enough to take away my impatience and anger."

"You just need to get some sleep," he'd tell me, reminding me that Andi has me up two to four times per night, and that Sophia would wake me with the sun.   "What does he know?" I'd think.

Finally, I gave in.  I took a nap one Sunday morning. And then, when I woke up, I laid in bed and read a magazine. A whole magazine. When I came downstairs, my children were eating lunch and instead of finding something to get frustrated about, my automatic state of being was...happiness. Kindness.  I even laughed and found them fun to be around.

How odd.

I have not fully appreciated how important a good night's rest is to a person's well-being. I preached it to client's, but it's not like I practice what  I preach.

Once I realized how great it was to be awake for life, I decided maybe I should start drinking coffee again. Heading into Caribou coffee, I tell them to give me the light-blend, half-full.  Then, not being a lover of coffee, I head to the condiment bar and fill the rest of the cup with 1/2 & 1/2 and enough sugar to wire a kindegarten class. "That's a ghetto latte," Dave informed me.  Well, no wonder the staff had been giving me dirty looks. 

I'm awake again, somedays, if I nap, or call on some coffee, and it's good to be back among the living.

Article on sleep...you don't have to take my word for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment