Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mother-of-the-Year Feeds Playgroup Recalled Food

As Mother-of-the-Year, I'd like to thank you for allowing me this time to explain myself as it appears that I have stooped to a new low -- even for me. 

I brought Annies Homegrown Bunny Graham Friends snacks to my child's ECFE class with the intention of providing a fun, yet organic snack for your children.  It is preservative free and I thought that you may appreciate my efforts at trying to be more of an earthy-type mama (which, while many of you are, I usually am not-- too expensive).

Anyway, when two children gagged on the snacks, and when Andi said "Ack! NO LIKE IT!" and refused to partake in snack time as did all the other children except for two, I felt a bit embarrassed to be the mom bringing a snack that made one-year-olds gag. 

But when I brought the HUGE amount of leftovers home and watched Sophia dry heave after putting a bunny graham in her mouth, I became a bit concerned.

So then I called Annie's  Homegrown Foods and was told that the Bunny Graham's that I purchased yesterday at Kowalskis were VOLUNTARILY RECALLED.  Embarrassment and concern turned into being pissed and concerned. 

Pissed that Kowalksi's didn't pull it off the shelf, and concerned that the snack I brought was going to make some little baby sick. 

The Annie's rep reassured me numerous times that the food would NOT cause harm to any child who ate it.  The smell and taste was due to the bags not sealing properly, and the no-preservatives-added grahams had "turned." 

I am very distrusting of companies these days.  I hold the very slanted view that corporate America is filled with greedy white sociopathic assholes running the show and so when they tell me -- over and over -- that my child will not be sickened -- it's hard for me to trust them.

The good thing that has come out of this -- and I'm such an optimistic positive person, as you all know -- is that I will not be asked to take a second turn in bringing the children their 10:30 snack. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post; I feel your pain. A couple of years ago I accompanied Isabella on an ECFE field trip. As I am sure you are aware, the ECFE big-wigs do not take lightly to peanut-related items in close proximity to the under three and a half foot crowd. After much deliberation I decided that Lunchables would be completely safe - where's the peanut allergy in ham, cheese and crackers? From our seat on the bus, a strong aroma of peanuts filled the air; I happened to select the probably one and only pre-packed lunch that comes with a Butterfinger. Nice.

    ReplyDelete