Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Mr. Mom and the Kids

This past week was my first official week working as a crisis triage clinician.  I've been in training the past 7 weeks -- there's a lot to learn about all the technology -- dealing with suicidal clients or people needing in patient treatment is the least of my worries and was not the focus of training.  It was learning all the damn computer systems and the ins and outs of managed care (still not a big fan and prefer to stick with working directly with the crisis calls and EAP counseling calls -- so I'm actively avoiding doing the managed care work for as long as possible). 

I'm not complaining, though. It's fast paced, fun, and you never know what you are going to get.  Most of the clinicians on the team are highly seasoned and, honestly, intimidating as far as their knowledge goes.  Last week, one of the most experienced and revered clinicians came over to the other newbie and I -- we are both in our 30's -- he is pushing 70, and asked us to come help him.  We sat there and stared at him, certain there was nothing we could help with.  Turns out he wanted one of our young bodies to climb under his desk and get a plug.  :)

Anyway, while I'm juggling mental health crisis at work, Dave is at home with the girls.  Today Dave took the twins to gymnastics.  While they waited for the girls class to end Andi looked at him and said, "I want you to go to work and Mommy stay home."  H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S  She followed up with, "I like mommy," in case he didn't get the message.

Before they went to gymnastics, I encouraged Dave to make oatmeal for a heartier breakfast.  And it's the real stuff....not the instant stuff in a little package that tastes like sugar and preservatives, but real oatmeal made on the stovetop. I make  it a few times a week and the girls eat it up. It's quick and easy, and healthier.
So why not? 

I'll tell you why not...apparently it's not easy -- for Dave -- who just admitted that he made the oatmeal and the uniform response from the girls was, "YUCK!"

I really do hope, though, that they all adjust because I like going to work and having my own time. Nearly doubling our household income has taken a lot of pressure off our shoulders.  The 45 minute break I get allows me to workout in the gym.  And it's nice to be using the clinical skills I developed but had been laying dormant for most of the last five years.

I had been feeling lost lately.  I began wondering if I was having an early mid-life crisis because I was feeling pretty stagnant.  I had a life plan as a teenager...to go to college, get married, go to grad school, buy a home, get a good job, have kids, and be a career mom...and I'm just realizing that I'm (finally) doing all that. I feel lucky to have gotten to stay home with the girls, but that was really hard, isolating work, and for right now, this feels really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment