Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Status of Things

Yes.  Dave has warmed up to the idea of a foster dog joining us and we are now set to meet her on Monday (providing we pass the home visit).  The girls are on the edges of their seats waiting to meet her.  They understand she may have some issues with socialization and may lack skills that other dogs lack due to her rough start in life, but they are on board for teaching her how to be a part of the family.  They also understand we are not her "forever home" and are learning the concepts of fostering and adoption -- which is good, because Dave and I have considered fostering children when our own kids are a bit older.

Dave is used to this sort of thing.  My parents probably should have warned him that I have a bit of a habit of taking in stray dogs, though while I was in grad school -- and 6 months into our marriage -- Dave learned that I was a bit -- enthusiastic -- about rescuing dogs when he saw me running down the middle of one of the busiest streets in Columbia, MO trying to catch a limping chihuahua.  I hopped out of my brand new CR-V, leaving it parked with it's flashers on.  Dave sat stunned in the passenger seat for a moment before he hopped out yelling, "What are you doing?" 

I called back, annoyed at his distracting me from the task at hand, "I'm trying to save this dog before she gets run over!"

"YOU'RE GOING TO GET RUN OVER!" he had shouted back at me. 

Eventually I caught up with the dog at the entrance to a hospital, and Dave caught up to me with the car.  It was a turning point in our relationship -- one in which he knew I was just a little off kilter -- and one in which I knew he'd be there anyway and eventually.  We brought the dog home, finding her a home just days before we moved to MN for Dave to start law school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment