Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot

Monday, April 18, 2011


We got home last night from a three day trip to IA where we attended VEISHA events, went swimming in the hotel pool, and wandered around my hometown.  The girls had a good time seeing everyone.  Ella was the most outwardly excited.  The week leading up to VEISHA contained multiple updates from Ella on how many days were left on the calendar until VEISHA.  Unfortunately when we got there, she came down with a cold and the weather was just above freezing, rainy, and wind gusts were enough to blow semi-trailers back and forth on the highway making driving a bit nerve wracking. Sunday, of course, was the nicest of the days with sun and less wind.  There's always next year....

Paisley, our 12 year-old boxer, collapsed last week.  She was put on some meds for an infection and a pancreatitis flare, but it looks like there is probably some sort of underlying liver disease.  She has bounced back, but we weren't too sure if this would be our last time seeing her so we made sure to get pics.  Andi loved Paisley.  By Sunday, I found Andi sitting with Paisley, showing her a stuffed animal, talking to Paisley, then putting the toy on Paisley's back for a ride.  Paisley just laid there.  I'm not sure why we gave Paisley away to my mom and dad when Mocha is the biting dog who dislikes children. 

 The girls love staying in a hotel and Sophia felt the need to pose for a pic.  Below, Ella posed and Andi followed in monkey-see, monkey-do fashion.

 The wind was gusting and despite bundling in our best winter gear, we were all still chilled to the bone.  Ella, who had great dreams of collecting a lot of candy at the parade, left for the car with daddy after 10 minutes, her hands empty of any candy.  The rest of us stayed another 30 minutes -- just enough time to see one authentic fraternity-made VEISHA float -- before we called it a day.

 No ISU parade would be complete without a souped up tractor-pulling club showing off it's work.
 Cy made an appearance

 On the way home from the parade, we drove by Edwards Elementary -- where mommy spent her grade school years.  Peeking in at my kindergarten classroom, it looks so much smaller than I remembered it.
 After we thawed out and had some lunch, we headed to the Vet Med building at ISU for their open house.  The girls got to pet a bunny, puppies, goats, baby sheep and cows, a donkey, and stare eye-to-eye with a couple of owls and a huge hawk.  Andi loved the cats.  I'm not sure where she gets her love for cats, but she is drawn to them.  We got to pet a vet student's 5 month old puppy.  That puppy was huge and is estimated to weigh 180 lbs once full-grown.  And no, I don't have a picture of that beast. 

Andi had hoped to visit the donkey without it looking at her.  When it turned towards her she yelled, "Oh! I'm scared!" and took off running....

 After the parade and time at vet med, we hit the downtown area for Stam Chocolates and a visit to the jewlery store.  Andi was exhausted and took a nap in the chocolate store.

 Ella busted eating her chocolates.  She is holding a geode the jewler gave to her.  The jewler told the twins he was so impressed with their polite behavior that he wanted to reward them and got out his box of geodes and let them choose one.  Talk about a great reinforcer for good behavior.  Way to go girls!
 Everyone is cozy warm with fat, happy tummies full of chocolates. 

 Because we still had energy to spare after freezing at the parade, attending vet med, and shopping downtown, we hit the pool before dinner. 

Okay, so most of us had energy...somebody was missing her nap....

No comments:

Post a Comment