Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kelli is in the Hospital -- Send Her Some Love

I'm ruminating....Should I drop everything and head to Iowa?  I don't know what to do.  Maybe I'll stay put for now and hope that the flowers, bear and balloons will cheer Kelli up...and that soon she'll be better.  Am I a bad sister for not making the three hour trip?  Is my brother ok?  He missed his trip here yesterday due to pneumonia.  Why can't I get a hold of him? 

I don't know if there is a God or anything like that. In moments like this, where my sister is sick -- and those who know me well, know that I am fiercely protective of my sister who has autism and epilepsy -- I really wish that I had some sort of spiritual belief...

(And please don't think I judge anyone else for being Christian, etc.  Whenever someone gets comfort and strength from their beliefs...and uses those to make the world a better place...well, I'm all for that..and perhaps, even a little envious)

Back to Kelli....

Kelli has had some sort of staph infection going on and the docs in their small town have been missing it.  They've come up with all sorts of explanations and write-offs for her symptoms laying the way for the infection to grow quite serious with months of Kelli not feeling well.  Finally, in the last couple weeks, one of them had the bright idea to send a culture into a lab and finally a diagnosis came.  With that, I had hoped that Kelli could finally feel better.  But different docs had different ideas about how to fix her...and ultimately, she was put on powerful antibiotics and two weeks later, she cannot walk due to severe dizziness, is not eating with vomiting and nausea, and is covered in an itchy rash.  She is breathless.

She was admitted to the hospital last night and after MRI's and CAT scans and bloodwork, they ruled out the spread of the infection to her blood stream and organs, but believe her symptoms are due to a severe reaction to the antibiotics. 

They'd better be right.

And they'd better get Kelli better in a hurry.

And they'd better listen to my mom this time when she tells them something isn't right. 

Because just because Kelli can't talk and explain how shitty she feels, doesn't mean she isn't suffering.

And just because she can't talk doesn't mean you should just send her home to suffer...for days and weeks on end.

She needs her smile and her health back. 

She doesn't have much...so please...I beg you...for the love of karma...figure it out once and for all and fix her.




1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about your entire family!! I hope that Kelli gets the help she needs to be on the mend soon and that Patrick gets better soon also.

    ReplyDelete