Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Balance

Sophia decided she was ready for her training wheels to come off her bike. We gave it a try Sunday night, and it was harder - and scarier than she thought it would be.

Below is the picture that got me to thinking about balance.  The three of us - all struggling to keep our balance - in different ways, but appropriate to each of our life phases....



It's a struggle, keeping balance in life.  Whether it is a baby learning to walk, a kid learning to ride a bike, or their mom trying to figure out how to make it to the gym, keep the house cleaned, house full of food, laundary done, appointments made and kept, engaging in self-growth, relaxation, mowing the lawn, playing with the children, teaching the children, letting the dog out, medicating the dog, cleaning up dog vomit, pee, poop...you get the picture.

I get that I don't have to do all of the above in one day (but sooooo want to). Daily, I practice focusing on what is good enough, perfection no longer something I have time for.

Today, I had to let something go.  I missed my trip to the gym. I go during quiet times to avoid the constant chattering noise that occurs at an all women's gym. The whole point, is to experience a break.

My lack of coordination is another reason I prefer to be there alone. My trainer has me using stretch bands. "Lay on your back, put the bands around your foot, and stretch your leg up hanging onto the  ends of the band. This will create resistance."

Or a damn big SNAP as it pings off my foot and hits me in the upper lip.

Again.

The pain roared through my lip, followed by tingling, then numbness. It felt like my lip was the size of a watermelon. I hopped up. I had to get out of the gym before people arrived and saw my lip. As I passed by the mirrors, I dared myself to look.

I was pleasantly surprised. When I got home, I showed off my full pout.  I put some lipstick on to really accentuate the fullness. I told Dave I am now considering a cosmetic procedure to make the look more permanent. "Why?" asked Dave. "All you have to do is go to the gym and snap yourself in the face everyday."

Cosmetic procedure or not, tomorrow, the three of us will continue to practice finding our balance.

2 comments: