Humor is also a way of saying something serious. - T. S. Eliot
Quotes

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Technicalities

Aren't fountains soothing? I think so. It may not be a kid friendly thing to have, but I put one on the deck. It's my one piece of beauty left in my kid-ified home.



On the back deck, the girls have a big tub of rice and beans for sensory play. It is one of the things that will, at times, absorb their attention long enough that they stay out of trouble and I can do something, like make lunch.

Last week I caught Sophia and Ella filling up one of the containers with water from the running fountain. They were just about to mix it in the rice and bean tub. "NO WATER IN THE TUB," I told them.

I make lunch, relieved they are entertained, I even stall a little. My heart rate slow, my breathing deep and even, I carry their lunch out to them to eat on the deck.



"WHAT IS IN MY FOUNTAIN?"

They stare at me. My zen mode shed faster than a speeding bullet, I tell them to look at the fountain which is "NOT WORKING."

"Didn't I tell you not to put water in the rice and beans?"

Ella, the technical one, the analytical one, the one just like her attorney father says calmly, "Yea. But you didn't say not to put them in the fountain."

1 comment:

  1. There is no wat to argue with the logic of a three year old is there?

    ReplyDelete